Tuesday, February 11, 2014

First Loves

Boxes of chocolate, candy hearts, cliché love quotes emblazoned on stuffed animals…it’s that time of year again. And as corny as it can sometimes be…I have to admit I love it. I love every bit about Valentine’s Day, but not because of all of the savory sweets (though that is a plus). I love it because I get to spoil my best friend with sickeningly sweet treats and remind him of how much I love and adore him; my boyfriend, Kris. I have heard many times, and from a variety of sources, that your first love will never be the person you end up with. That person is supposedly some sort of trial-run, a part of growing up, you will eventually grow apart and find your own ways. I completely disagree. I met Kris at the most unlikely of times. At 16 years old, I was going down a questionable path, and always out and about into something with my best friend at the time. I’ll never forget the look on our faces when our eyes met. A big, strong, tan, lifeguard-looking guy wants to dance with ME? And we did. We danced all night long. At 16 and 18 life was bliss. It was an unforgettable summer. Missing curfews by night and playing poolside by day. Life was good. It didn’t take long until we fell in love. It was inevitable, but it took us several months before we finally said it. Neither of us had ever been in love before, never had a serious boyfriend or girlfriend. But this. Now this was something else. He made me feel so accepted, like no matter what -everything was alright. I always wanted to be with him. After long nights of dance rehearsals I would drive clear across town just to see him for as little as an hour. He had become a part of me. After a year of being inseparable, and another blissful summer, the day had finally come. Kris headed to Eastern Oregon University for his first year as a college football player. The night before he left we had a big party with all of his high school friends. That night has been seared into my memory. I had never seen him cry before, but as tears rolled down his cheeks, I sobbed –for his sadness as well as my own. The following year was extremely difficult, but with Skype and visits every few weekends, we did it. We made it through. I attended Eastern Oregon University with him the following year. Now, yet another year later, we are stronger than ever. Our love has definitely matured, but that intensely passionate way that all emotions are felt with a first love still remains, and I pray that it doesn’t ever fade away. Because even though it means I will feel the sad times so very deeply, I feel the happy times with that same intensity. So this Valentine’s Day, I cannot wait to honor my lover, my hero, my partner-in-crime, my best friend, the one who continues to grow with me, Kristopher.

6 comments:

  1. Sara, I think that you are very lucky to find the love of your life at a young age. I think it teaches you a lot about yourself, and what you consider important in life. It is so much fun to grow with someone and challenge each other. Valentines day can be mushy but I do think it is important to recognize all the good someone does for you, and be able to spoil them in return. ANDD I LOVE FLOWERS (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post! It reminded me of all the reasons I love Valentine's Day and how lucky I am to have my boyfriend. Can't wait to make Valentine's for our students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww...Love is great, glad that you are so happy. You guys are adorable together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same. It is so incredible to love someone that much. I hope you have a great Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, Sara! This was such a sweet post. I love Valentines Day as well and it is so nice to celebrate it with someone you care so much about. I hope you have a great Valentines Day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had a boyfriend on Valentine's Day, nor have I ever been in a long term serious relationship….I do know that the way you've talked about him in the last year and reading this story about your lives together really gives me hope that I'll find someone to spend my days with :)

    ReplyDelete